Outlines how to disable Facebook on your computer or using the mobile app for smartphones and tablets, with step-by-step instructions.
If you want to take a break from the social network or want to do without Facebook for a little while, you can follow these steps for how to disable Facebook at any time. We explain exactly how this works, what Facebook actually means by “disable” and how you get your profile back again. It may also be useful for you to know how to leave a Facebook group.
Disable vs delete Facebook account: What is the difference?
Disabling your Facebook account does not mean that you will remove your account with all your data from the network forever. For this reason, Facebook clearly distinguishes between disabling and deleting the profile.
If you disable your Facebook account, other Facebook users will no longer be able to view your profile and will not be able to find you via the search. Some data, such as comments and conversations with friends, can still be visible to each person. Your uploaded photos, data and more are no longer visible with a deactivated account – but will not be deleted from the Facebook servers. You can reactivate a disabled account at any time.
Disabling the account is useful in various situations. For example, in the case of cyber bullying, you can temporarily deactivate your account or, in a hot application phase, prevent the recruiter or employer from finding out details that you are reluctant to be addressed in the interview. Of course, you can also simply take a break from the social network and the constant “networking”.
How to disable Facebook on a computer or in the app
Disabling the Facebook profile isn’t hard, but as with all settings on the famous social network, you have to maneuver through the nested menu jungle. To make the navigation possible, we have summarized here how you can deactivate your Facebook account on the PC and in the app.
Note: If there are any problems with your account due to deactivation, Facebook will alert you during the deactivation process. For example, if you are the only admin in a group.
How to disable Facebook on a computer
- Open Facebook in a new browser tab and log in.
- Click on the “Down Arrow” icon in the upper right corner.
- Selects “Settings and Privacy” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Settings” here as well.
- When you reach the settings, you now select the item “Your Facebook Information” from the menu (left).
- Now click on “Deactivation and Deletion”.
- By default, the “Account Disabled” option is already selected. So all you have to do is click on the “Continue and Deactivate Account” button below.
- Facebook is now asking you for your password. Enter this and then click on the “Next” button.
- You can choose a reason to disable and choose whether you want to continue to receive emails from Facebook and use Messenger.
- Click on the “Disable” button and then click on “Disable now”to close your Facebook profile.
How to disable Facebook via the app
- Open the Facebook app and tap the menu icon (≡) at the top right.
- Swipe down and open “Settings and Privacy”.
- Now tap “Settings” again.
- Under “Account Settings” you will find directly the first menu item “Personal Information”, tap on it.
- Now select the last item “Manage Account”.
- Now tap here on the somewhat inconspicuous link “Disable” or “Deactivate” (bottom right).
- Select a reason for deactivation,swipes down and tap the “Next” button.
- Swipe to the menu item “Reactivate your account” and select the option “Do not automatically reactivate” from the drop-down menu and tap the “Next” button.
- Now you can still set whether you want to continue to receive emails from Facebook and use Messenger.
- Finally, tap the “Disable my account” button to close your Facebook profile.
How to reactivate a Facebook account
As explained above, disabling your Facebook profile does not mean that your profile has been deleted, you can reactivate it at any time. You simply have to log back in to Facebook with your registration data — email/profile and the relevant password. The Facebook account is then automatically reactivated. All you need is access to your email address, which you use to sign in to Facebook.
If you have forgotten your password in the meantime, you can also simply request it again.
How to delete a Facebook account permanently
If you prefer to delete your profile permanently and thus delete all photos and other data on Facebook (irrevocably!), you should follow these steps.
Of course, the company doesn’t want us to delete our facebook accounts. Therefore, the possibility is somewhat hidden and you are offered to deactivate your account. However, with the right link we give you below, you can delete your Facebook account forever. However, before you do that, you should download any information and images you want to save from your account.
How to delete Facebook on a computer
- Log in to Facebook one last time.
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account.
- Click on the button “Delete my account”.
- Now a window pops up where you have to enter your password and the security code displayed.
- There may be a Captcha security step at this stage.
- One last time enter your Facebook password
- Enter what you want, and then clickOK.
- Now another message opens and after clicking on the last “OK” you will be logged out.
- After that, you can cancel the deletion process in the next 14 days by logging in again. After that time, the Facebook account will be closed permanently.
How to delete Facebook in the app
Most Facebook users probably use a smartphone app to access it. If you want to delete Facebook, you also have to search for the possibility for a long time. In fact, this is not provided for in the app itself, but you can also delete your Facebook account in the app via a detour:
- First, tap the menu icon at the top right of the menu icon, which consists of three horizontal strokes.
- Scroll down and then tap “Help section”.
- Enter “Delete Account” in the text box as a search.
- In response, you’ll see “How do I delete my account permanently?”- tap it.
- In the following help text you can see the link “share it with us” at the end of the first paragraph.
- Now you finally get to see the window to delete the Facebook account.
- Enter your password there and tap “Send”.
- The last message informs you that your account will be deleted and you will have 14 days to log in with the data to undo the step. You will also receive a “cancellation confirmation” by e-mail. After that you are free and can do something better with your time.
How to change a business name on Facebook: simple step-by-step guide
How to disable Bixby, Bixby Home and reassign the Bixby button
How to change Spotify password on app and computer
How to use WhatsApp: easy step-by-step guide for beginners