If the view of your home screen becomes too boring for you in the long run, you can easily change the icons of individual apps. We’ll show you step by step how to change the icon of an app on Android and iPhone and what you need for it – without or with a launcher.
How to change the icon of an app on Android
Customize Android app icons without a launcher
You don’t necessarily have to install a launcher if you want to change the appearance of the icons. All you have to do is load the appropriate app onto your Android phone. An example of this is the free Awesome Icons app. If you want, you can also install an icon pack. Also read our guide on How to block YouTube ads: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, Android or iPhone
- After opening the app, first select the app from the list whose appearance you want to change.
- Next to the app you will see two icons: a camera and a picture icon. If you have an icon pack installed, you will see three icons.
- If you tap the camera symbol, you can take a photo and use it as an icon for the app. By tapping the picture symbol you can choose from the pictures already available on the mobile phone.
- In the following step, the app whose icon is to be adapted is displayed under “Launch”. Under “Icon” you can see your selection, the image or the new icon from the icon pack.
- If you confirm the setting, the app will be displayed with the new icon on the home screen. However, this is again only a link. The icon for an app is defined by the developer and cannot really be changed.
Android: Change icons with the desktop visualizer
If you would like to design or adapt your icons completely yourself, the Desktop Visualizer will help you .
Here you can even turn your own photos into app icons and customize the home screen background.
Change with an alternative launcher
Unfortunately, the app icons cannot be changed on many of the preinstalled Android launchers. However, you can make the changes to icons by installing an alternative launcher. We’ll show you how to do it.
Android: Change app icons with an alternative launcher
A common launcher that supports icon packs is the Nova launcher. Download the free version from the Google Play Store. Also install an icon pack from the Google Play Store. Here, for example, the SLT MIUI – Widget & Icon Pack is ideal .
- Once you have installed the applications, look for “Nova Settings” in the App Drawer and open it.
- Tap on the item “Appearance” and then on the “Symbol theme”. Select the icon pack you want here.
- The launcher then restarts and all apps have the icons from the selected pack.
- However, the icons are not really changed with the launcher. Rather, a link is created for the homescreen. In the App Drawer nothing changes in the way the icons are displayed.
On the Android phone, you can access the free application X Icon Changer: Customize App-Symbols & Shortcuts. Once installed, you can swap app icons like this:
- Open the X Icon Changer.
- After a short setup period, you will be shown the apps installed on your mobile phone. Tap an app icon that you want to change.
- The icon is shown enlarged. At the bottom you get suggested some new icons.
- Alternatively, you can switch to the Photo tab to set up your own image file from the cell phone memory as an app icon.
- As a little gimmick, the icon of the current app can be replaced by an icon from another installed app. For example, you can swap the characters on WhatsApp and Instagram or place the Google symbol on the Facebook app.
- The app name for the display in the app overview can also be changed using the pen above.
- To create an icon without a watermark, the icon in the widget menu must be adapted.
How to change the icon of an app on iPhone
Change app icons with iOS 14
On the iPhone, too, an application helps you change the app icons. But with the update to iOS 14, app icons can be adapted even more easily because Apple has simplified the customization of the app icons. The shortcuts in iOS 14 can help. This is how it works, and it is also handy to know How to fix an iPhone that is disabled: complete guide
- Go to the Shortcuts app.
- Tap the plus icon in the top right corner.
- Add a new command.
- Find the command “Open app” in the bar and select it.
- The command is added as a shortcut option.
- Select the app for which you want to change the icon.
- Then tap on the three dots in the top right.
- Enter a name and add the command to the home screen.
- Press the symbol next to the text field to select a new image for the app icon.
- The new symbol now appears on the home screen. You can now hide the original version of the app on the home screen.
- Change app icons on the iPhone
- The app icons can also be exchanged on your iPhone without iOS 14. For this you need the Cocoppa app.
However, the actual icons are not changed, but app links are created with the new design. You can, for example, move the original apps to a folder so that they can no longer be seen on the home screen. Also good to know is: How to compress a video on iPhone, Mac, Android or PC for email and posts
How to set up the new icons in the iOS app:
- First, choose a nice app icon. You can use the magnifying glass to find specific icons for certain apps.
- Tap the new icon you want.
- Choose Select this icon .
- Select the installed app that you want to give a new design.
- Confirm your selection with OK .
- You will be redirected. In the new window tap on the share icon.
- Then select the Add to Home Screen option .
Done, the app shortcut with the new icon can now be found on the start screen of your iPhone.
How to change the icon of an app: Summary
If you want to change individual app icons on your Android phone, you have to install the X Icon Changer app. The procedure is quick and easy.
You can also change the look of your home screen on Android models with icon packs from Nova Launchers.
If you have an iPhone, the procedure depends on the iOS version you have installed. On iOS 14, you can change app icons by using the Shortcuts app.
Do you have an older version of iOS? It used to be possible to change app icons using an external app. In the meantime you are looking for it in vain. Also read
How to uninstall Skype for Business on Windows, Mac, iOS & Android
How to Change Instagram App Icon on iPhone and Android
Instagram celebrated its 10th anniversary by allowing you to change the app icon from October 2020. There are a dozen options to choose from, including the classic Polaroid icon. How to change the Instagram app icon on your iPhone or Android phone.
- First, go to the App Store and check for app updates. Then open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android smartphone and tap on the profile icon in the lower right corner.
- In the Instagram app, tap the profile icon
- Here, click on the hamburger menu icon in the top right corner.
- Press the menu key on your profile
- In the pop-up window, select the “Settings” option.
- In Instagram, tap Settings
- On the Settings page, swipe down from the top of the screen. Keep swiping down until you reach the end of the screen. You’ll see a series of emojis that guide you when you get to the top. You will see confetti when you reach the end of the emoji.
- Drag the settings down until you see emojis and confetti
- You are now on the icon for hidden apps. Here are all of the options available for Instagram app icons.
- Select the app icon you want to switch to. You can choose the classic Polaroid camera, the original Instagram logo, or any of the other custom icons.
- Choose a new Instagram icon
- The icon will change and you will see a pop-up message confirming the change. Press the “OK” button to reject the pop-up window.
- Press ok
- Now when you go back to your iPhone or Android home screen, you’ll see the updated app icon.
- You can always go back and change the app icon as long as the function is still available in the Instagram app.
Change the size on Android and iPhone iOS
If you would like to see more app symbols or larger icons on one page on the start screen, we will show you how to set and change the size of the apps on Android and iOS. The size of the app icons cannot be freely selected. But there is a setting with which the symbol size can be set up in different levels.
Change size on Android
- Go to the Settings app .
- Switch to the area for the display settings .
- Select the Home Screen area .
- Tap the App Screen Grid option .
- Here you now select one of the presented levels. The more apps you select, the smaller the icons become.
Alternatively, you can also access the menu directly from the home screen. Hold your finger down on an empty space, then select the home screen settings.
Enlarge icons on the iPhone
For Apple devices, the setting is not available for all devices. How to check whether the size of the app icons on your iOS device can be changed:
- Open the settings.
- Select the Display & Brightness section .
- Go to the Display section .
- Scroll down to the option Display Zoom .
- Press Ads.
- Now select a display mode. If you choose Enlarged, the app icons on the home screen are displayed larger.
If the option cannot be found, the icon size cannot be adjusted on your iPhone. The setting is available on these models :
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone X R
- iPhone X S Max
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
The setting is not only adopted for the app symbols, but also in other places. For example, message texts are also displayed larger.
Rename Android apps
Do you want to rename certain apps on your Android smartphone? We show how it’s done.
Have you ever wanted to rename an application on your Android smartphone or tablet? This is possible thanks to third-party apps, but you cannot directly rename the applications on your Android device as the names of the apps are legally protected. Therefore, you can only create a shortcut to a specific app, whose name you can then change as you wish.
How to change the names of your Android apps
To change the name of your application shortcuts, you first need to install a custom launcher for Android. Suitable are e.g. B. Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher , which you can download for free from Google Play. In our example, Nova Launcher is used. Follow our step-by-step instructions or take a look at the quick start guide .
Step 1: Choose the initial arrangement
Download the Nova Launcher app from the Google Play Store. When you start the app, there are a few settings you need to make before you can use it. First you need to select the ” Initial Arrangement “. We selected ” One UI Home Screen ” as this is the default launcher on our Android device. However, you can select any setting here. Then tap ” Next “.
2nd step: Select design
Now select a design you want and then tap ” Next ” again.
3rd step: select action
Then select your preferred action to open the app overview . Then go to ” Apply “.
4th step: Open the app overview
The Nova Launcher is now successfully set up. Now you can quickly rename any shortcut in an app in just a few steps. To do this, open the app overview by either swiping up or tapping the appropriate symbol below – depending on what you selected in the previous step.
5th step: Edit app
There keep you then hold the desired app, until the menu appears. Then select the ” Edit ” entry .
6th step: Rename the app
You can now change the name of the app. Then tap Done to save the change.
- Start the “Nova Launcher” app after you have installed it from the Play Store.
- Then select the ” Starting Arrangement ” you want and tap ” Next “.
- Then select the design and tap ” Next ” again.
- Now select your preferred action to open the app overview and then click on ” Apply “.
- After the Nova Launcher is successfully set up, open the app overview .
- Then press and hold the app you want until the menu appears.
- Then select ” Edit “.
- You can now change the name of the app .
- Finally, tap ” Done ” to save the change.