During the warm summer months of the year, enjoying a boat can be a great way to spend your time. One popular type of boat for many people to get is a t-top boat, which provides shade to those operating the boat and also clear lines of sight to the ocean. But you need to consider how to protect a t-top boat when it is not in use.
The features of a t-top boat make it a great design shape for both recreational uses and for fishing. If you do invest in a t-top boat, you will want to have a cover for it while it is not in use. There are several advantages that come when you invest in a boat t top cover.
Advantages of a Cover to Protect a T-Top Boat
Keep T-Top Clean
One of the reasons people will want to have a boat cover for their t-top is that it will help to keep the boat clean. When you are not on the water, your boat will likely sit in a marina until it is ready to be used again. During the colder months of the year, you will likely store the boat in a garage. During these times, it is very common for bugs, animals, and other critters to get into your boat. When this happens, they can make a big mess and cause some damage. When you have a boat cover in place, it can help to prevent this from happening.
Sun and Water Protection
You should also consider getting a t-top cover to receive protection against sun and water damage. Excess exposure to the sun can start to do damage to the interior and exterior of your boat. If you want to keep your boat looking good and for the upholstery of the seating area not to fade, minimizing sun exposure is very important. With the use of a t-top cover, you can keep your boat’s exterior and upholstery protected. Additionally, the cover is designed to help protect against the risks of weather damage, including hail and significant rain that could cause damage.
If you are going to spend money to buy one, you will want to protect a t-top boat as well as you can. While this includes protecting the interior, you also should try and protect against the risks of theft and vandalism. When you have a boat cover of any kind, it will be another barrier that a thief or vandal will need to get through in order to access your boat. This can help to make your boat more secure and keep it as well protected as possible.
Easy to Cover and Remove
If you are going to take your boat out for the day, the last thing you will want to do is spend a lot of time taking off and putting on your boat cover. When you invest in a t-top boat cover, you will know that they are easy to work with. These covers will be designed for the shape of your boat and come with a variety of zippers and other features that make it easy to take off and put back on.
If you do invest in a boat of any kind, you will want to make sure that it is properly covered and protected. A great way that you can do this is by investing in a boat t-top cover. These boat covers offer several advantages that make them a good purchase option for anyone that owns a boat.
How to clean a boat hull and seats
Alien animals and plants that spread rapidly (invasive neobiota) also occur in our waters. Invasive mussels, fish larvae or other small organisms are often carried away unnoticed by boats, water sports or fishing equipment from one body of water to the next. Some invasive neobiota cause high levels of damage in water bodies. Once these species are there, they can hardly be contained. By correctly cleaning your boat before each trip, you will help to stop the spread! Regularly cleaning will protect a t-top boat and also extends its lifespan!
Step 1: check
After emptying the boat, check the hull, engine, ropes, anchor and boat trailer for residues from plants and animals. Also run your hand over it: if it feels rough, living things are likely to grow there. Also, check all sports and fishing equipment.
Step 2: clean up
Remove residues from animals and plants and dispose of them in the trash. Drain the bilge * and residual water completely directly at the source of the water. Clean everything with a high-pressure cleaner, if possible with hot water, in a suitable washing facility (for addresses see www.zh.ch/unbemerkte-fracht). Cleaning agents are not required. Also read How to go boating in comfort: 7 best accessories and gadgets
Step 3: let it dry
Allow the boat and equipment to dry completely before using it in any other body of water. When the material is completely dry depends on the temperature and humidity (an average of 4 days). In particular, check shady and damp areas, as organisms are often to be found there.
* Caution oil pollution: Dispose of bilge water from the engine compartment separately.
The cleaning in detail
- Empty out bilge and residual water
- The bilge water collects in the lower hull of the boat. Drain or skim it completely. ** Caution oil pollution: Dispose of bilge water from the engine compartment separately.
- Completely empty out standing water in containers (in storage spaces, buckets, etc.).
- There are very different engine models. Inquire about the suitable cleaning method from the manufacturer of your motor model.
- a) Outboard motor:
- Flip the motor up and down several times so that all the water drains out. This will dry out organisms that may be in the cooling lines. 1
- •Thoroughly clean the outside of the motor with hot water (high pressure cleaner or brush).
- •Flush the motor for at least 2 minutes with a flushing attachment, if possible with hot water. You can flush smaller models in a large water container (e.g. rain barrel).
- b) Inboard engine / sterndrive:
- Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning recommendations.
- •Empty the filter insert regularly.
- Outside of the boat: pressure washer
- Attention: The wastewater must enter the sewage system2
- Clean the entire outer skin of the boat with a high-pressure cleaner and hot water (at least 45 ° C, ideally 60-80 ° C.). Cracks, holes and hard-to-see edges must be cleaned particularly well. Also clean the trailer (tires, rims, etc.) and (if possible) the boat surfaces that are on the trailer.
- If the boat remains in the water in summer, always raise the engine when not in use.