Complete guide of steps for how to make a brewing stand in Minecraft, plus recipes for positive and negative potions and full potion chart.
Do you want to brew potions in Minecraft ? How about an invisibility potion, a strength potion or a magic potion? With our guide on how to make a brewing stand in Minecraft, you will find the best recipes for all projects in the open world game.
Potions and crafting were added in Minecraft 1.0. They are now an integral part of the game. Potions in Minecraft are not only there to temporarily improve themselves, but can also be used as throwing objects. We’ll show you the basics, give you instructions for the brewing stand and list the best recipes.
Brewing Potions in Minecraft – Basics for Every Potion
Of course you can’t just brew potions, we’re in Minecraft after all. First we have to craft or collect the necessary brewing utensils. You also definitely need a water source. It is best to be very close by.
How to make a brewing stand in Minecraft
To brew potions, we definitely need a brewing stand. Fortunately, this one isn’t overly complicated:
- Set up a workbench and place three rubble blocks (paving stones, cobblestone) in the bottom row.
- Now comes a tan rod in the middle of your workbench grid.
- The Lohenruten can be found in the Nether, they are dropped by the monster class Lohen.
Containers: kettles and glass bottles
If you don’t have a water source nearby, you should quickly get a boiler room: Open the workbench and place seven iron bars in the shape of a horseshoe in it.
Glass bottles, on the other hand, are mandatory for making potions as they are stored in them.
- A glass bottle can be obtained by killing a witch or fishing.
- Of course, you can also make glass bottles yourself: Place three glass blocks in your workbench, one in the middle at the bottom. The other two are placed on the left and right, one level up, so that a small u is formed .
Collect nether warts
Once we have put together all the brewing utensils, we can continue collecting nether warts. These plants are necessary for every base potion, so you can’t do without warts.
- Of course, nether warts only grow in the Netzter, often near fortresses.
- You can grow nether warts yourself by planting them in soul sand.
Other ingredients for brewing
Of course we are still not finished with the preparations, we need more ingredients in order to be able to produce more than basic potions (for brewing see below).
- Rabbit paws are difficult to recognize as such. Spider eyes for potions of poisoning (dropped by spiders and witches)
- Rabbit’s paw for potions of jumping power (are dropped by rabbits)
- Sugar for potions of speed (obtained from sugar cane)
- Glittering melon for potions of healing (is crafted by Melno surrounded by pieces of gold)
- Fire dust for potions of strength (can be obtained from fire rods)
- Puffer fish for underwater breathing watering (can be caught)
- Ghast tear for potions of regeneration (are dropped by ghasts)
- This cluster of pixels is a fermented spider’s eye. Fermented spider’s eye for potions of weakness (combination of spider’s eye, sugar and brown mushroom)
- Golden carrot for night vision potions (carrot surrounded by gold pieces for crafting)
- Magma cream for potions of fire resistance (is made from slime ball and tan dust)
If you want to brew all potions, you need a lot of ingredients.
How to make a brewing stand in Minecraft: potion recipes
Make basic potions
First, we make three basic potions. The reason for this is that one ingredient is always sufficient for three potions to give a base potion an effect.
- Fill the three glass bottles with water.
- Now click on the brewing stand.
- Put the glass bottles in the three fields above the inventory.
- If you put a nether wart in the upper field, you will receive a strange potion (Awkward Potion) . The Strange Potion itself has no effect, but is the basis for almost all other potions.
- You get a common potion for a weak potion if you add one of the other ingredients. Or you can take a fermented spider’s eye to get a weakness potion straight away.
Now we can finally start brewing the actual potions:
Craft potions with a positive effect
First we place three strange potions in the three free spaces of the brewing stand. You need different ingredients for the different potions. You can find all the recipes here:
|Night vision||Golden carrot|
|Fire resistance||Magma cream|
|Underwater breathing||Puffer fish|
The duration of action is usually 3 minutes, only the healing potion works immediately, while the regeneration potion lasts only 45 seconds.
Craft potions with a negative effect
There are only two potions with negative effects, here are the recipes:
|poisoning||Strange potion||Spider eye|
|weakness||Ordinary potion||Fermented spider eye|
Minecraft wouldn’t be Minecraft if you were already at the end. Of course you can strengthen the potions even further:
Even more ingredients to fortify the potions
After the actual brewing process, a few ingredients can be added to improve or change the effect. It’s best to just try it out here to see what comes out in the end.
- Redstone dust extends the effect, but reduces the effect (thick potion).
- Glowstone dust increases the effect, but shortens the duration of the effect (mundane potion).
- Schwarzpuler (from witches, creepers and ghasts) turns potions into potions of weakness.
- A fermented spider’s eye reverses the effects or spoils a potion.
- For example, if you combine a Night Vision Potion with a Fermented Spider’s Eye, you will receive an Invisibility Potion .
All brewing options at a glance
Here again are all brewing options in a practical overview.