Guides you through how to lose back fat fast but safely, with targeted exercises and expert tips to slim and tone your back quickly, whether you need to know how to how to lose lower back fat or how to lose upper back fat.
Fat pads on the back are particularly annoying for those who want to lose weight, as they are very difficult to get rid of. Often they are very persistent and can only be dealt with with training exercises. But it pays off – after all, a healthy, strong back is essential for a strong core and vice versa. It is an important part of the body that can cause aches and pains in old age without being exercised.
Before we get to the exercises and tips for how to get rid of back fat, there is one little damper: Unfortunately, losing weight on the back is not possible without overall loss (you can’t do that on the stomach either). The back fat only disappears if we reduce our overall body fat percentage – that is, lose weight overall. If you want to get rid of lower back fat or upper back fat for good, you should do 20-30 minutes of cardio training two to three times a week and also make sure you have a healthy diet.
If you regularly do the special exercises against back fat, you will achieve results even faster: You strengthen all of your core and back muscles and get a leaner and tighter silhouette and have already completed part of your strength training. In addition, the exercises even prevent back pain. Perfect for everyone who sits at work for a long time. So it’s a win-win situation!
How to lose back fat fast and safely: 7 effective exercises
How to lose back fat fast: 1. Superwoman
- Lie flat on your stomach, arms at right angles to your body.
- Tense your stomach and bottom and lift your chest and feet off the floor at the same time.
- Hold for 30 seconds, breathe in and out gently.
- Then go down briefly, inhale and exhale deeply and lift again.
- Repeat a total of three times.
- The arms are not bent, but straight forward.
- The view points to the ground.
- Lift your chest and feet off the floor and move your legs and arms up and down like scissors.
- Don’t forget to breathe.
- After 30 seconds, put it down briefly, inhale and exhale.
- Repeat a total of three times.
How to lose back fat fast: 2. Scales
This exercise not only tightens the deep-lying core and back muscles, but also trains balance. How to lose water weight: complete guide and shred plan
- To do this, stand upright and shift wieght to the right leg.
- Extend your left leg straight back and at the same time bring your upper body and outstretched arms forward.
- Ideally, arms, back and left leg are in one line.
- Tense your stomach and bottom and hold for 15 seconds.
- Breathe in and out deeply into your stomach.
- Bring your legs and arms to the middle, straighten up briefly and go back to the floor scales.
- Repeat a total of three times, then switch legs.
How to lose back fat fast: 3. Quadrupeds
- Get into the four-legged position on a training mat.
- The hands are under the shoulders, the knees under the hips.
- Now slowly extend your right arm and left leg so that your arm, back and leg form a straight line.
- Pull your belly button inward and tighten your bottom.
- Hold this position for 15 seconds and breathe deeply in and out.
- Then go back to the quadruped position and repeat the exercise on the other side.
- A total of 5 repetitions per side.
- Professional version: stretch out your arms and legs while inhaling.
- Then, as you exhale, bring your leg and arm back towards your body, and as you inhale, stretch out again.
- Repeat for 30 seconds. Then switch sides.
How to lose back fat fast: 4. Rowing with one arm
With one-armed rowing, you not only strengthen your back, but also your arm muscles. So this exercise not only reduces back fat, but also makes ‘bingo’ arms disappear. In the gym you can use a flat bench and two 1.5-kilo dumbbells for this – at home you can also use the couch. How to get bigger arms: training strategies and expert tips
- Place your right knee on the end of the bench or couch and support yourself with your right hand.
- The left leg is stable on the floor.
- Make sure your back is straight – you should neither hunch back nor fall into a hollow back.
- Now take the dumbbell or the water bottle in your left hand and pull your arm back until the arm forms a right angle. Elbows and shoulders are at the same height.
- Bring your hand back down and back up.
- Beginners: 3 x 15 per side, change to 15 sides.
- Advanced: 3 x 15 per side, only then change side
How to lose back fat fast: 5. Plank
The plank , also called forearm support, is the secret weapon for a tight, defined body. How to gain muscle and lose fat: 5 key steps and complete guide
- To do this, go into the push-up position and place your forearms on the floor so that your elbows are under your shoulders.
- Then press up on your toes.
- Very important: pull your navel inwards and tense your buttocks tightly. This ensures stability and prevents the back from falling into a hollow back.
- Control your posture – your buttocks and shoulders should be in line. Breathe in and out calmly and hold.
- Beginners: 3 x 30 seconds, briefly rest in between
- Advanced: 3 x 1 minute, briefly rest in between
How to lose back fat fast: 6. The Train
Looks a bit like dry swimming or a train, but is extremely good for your back:
- Lie on your stomach, as you did with planking, with your toes pressed into the ground and facing the ground
- Straighten your upper body with your legs extended so that your pelvis and toes are touching the floor, but your knees are not
- Extend your arms forward with your palms facing in and your thumbs up. Your arms are very close to your ears and very straight. Hold it short.
- Keep your buttocks and legs tense all the time.
- Push your arms along the sides of your body, bend your arms.
- 2-3 times 10-15 repetitions each OR 2-3 times 45 seconds each
How to lose back fat fast: 7. Weight lifts
You don’t have to buy expensive dumbbells. A couple of water bottles are enough! We have used two 0.75 liter bottles, but you can try out what weights you want to train with. But it is important that you use two of the same weight.
- Find two equal (!) Weights, about 1-2 kg (instead of bottles, you can also use sugar or flour bags)
- Stand legs shoulder width apart, bend knees slightly
- Push your buttocks backwards (as if you wanted to sit on an invisible chair). Look down: make sure that your knees don’t stick out above your toes. Imagine you want to sit in a chair, but it is right in front of a wall.
- Look straight ahead again, keep your back straight, tense your stomach (imagine you want to pull your navel very slightly towards your spine)
- Spread your arms out sideways, lift the bottles to shoulder height and lower them back in the middle
- 2 – 3 times 10 – 15 repetitions each OR 2 – 3 times each 45 seconds continuously
Expert tips to slim and tone
Good posture is half the battle, so straighten up! Straighten your sternum and contract your back muscles by lowering your shoulders and pulling your shoulder blades back. Also keep your abdominal muscles under tension, so you automatically stand and sit more upright.
Go to the limit
If you want to burn fat, you have to add extra to your training. Endurance training is great for burning fat, but there is more: If we push our limits in short, intense intervals and take a short break in between, our body burns up to 200 calories more after training than after a moderate workout. For example, you can incorporate interval training into your running laps.
Train in a targeted manner
During your workout, focus on exercises that strengthen the back, shoulder, and oblique abdominal muscles. The more muscle you build, the more fat your body will burn. So don’t be afraid of strength training! If the inhibition threshold for push- ups or pull-ups is too high, try the alternatives that we show you in the box below the article. Posture exercises can also work wonders.
Even if strength and endurance training is the key to success: With yoga you can also boost fat burning – at least if you choose a dynamic yoga form that makes you sweat. In our yoga special you will find an overview of many different yoga styles.
Eat the right thing
Eating healthy is just as important as exercising if we are to reduce our body fat. Avoid ready meals, be sparing with carbohydrates, fat and sugar – and instead incorporate more protein into your menu. Always good: ginger (boosts the metabolism), fiber (keeps you full for a long time) and lots of fresh vegetables. Try one of these recipes !
Concealing back fat: This is how your back looks slimmer
A few weeks can easily pass before the training delivers visible results. Until then, you can optically hide your back fat with a few tricks. The most important thing: the bra has to fit. If you wear a bra that is too tight, i.e. with an underbust that is too small, the back section cuts in unattractively and the back fat appears even more. If the bra is the right size, your silhouette will appear slimmer overall.
If you want your back fat to be concealed, you should also choose casually cut tops or dresses made of flowing fabrics. They play around the back particularly well. On the other hand, you should keep your fingers off skin-tight tops made of elastic fabrics if you want to optically cheat away the rolls.
Important note: An active lifestyle with a balanced diet and plenty of exercise is still the best way to stay fit and to achieve or maintain a healthy weight.
Genevieve Dumas is a design, fashion, food and style writer who has worked on major magazines and mastheads in the United States and Europe.