Eating passion fruits is healthy and the fruits are full of vitamins and nutrients. But which parts of the exotic fruit can you eat and what about their ecological balance? Our guide outlines how to eat passionfruit, starting with how to choose the best ones, and easy recipes for you to try.
- How to eat passionfruit: overview
- How to eat passionfruit: basic methods
- How to eat passionfruit: How to choose a good passionfruit
- Super food or environmental sin?
- Summary of tips
- How to eat passionfruit: 4 easy recipes
How to eat passionfruit: overview
Many people may shy away from buying passion fruit because this fruit doesn’t look very inviting. But passion fruit can do a lot. On the outside, it doesn’t look much: The passion fruit looks rather inconspicuous with its dark, wrinkled skin. The pulp tastes refreshingly sweet and sour and has valuable ingredients, so it is worthwhile to know how to eat a passion fruit and the best uses for it.
It is rich in beta-carotene, B vitamins as well as potassium, iron, phosphate and magnesium. The orange-yellow fruit pulp is best eaten with a spoon, the kernels can also be consumed.
Passion fruits are easy to confuse with the closely related maracujas. You can tell them apart by their size and color: Passion fruits are small, purple to purple-colored fruits. Maracujas, on the other hand, are larger and more yellow-orange in color. However, passion fruit are mainly suitable for making juice, as they are very acidic and therefore hardly edible on their own.
Passion fruits, on the other hand, are easy to eat, they have a pleasantly sweet-sour taste. In terms of nutritional content, they are in no way inferior to their orange relatives: They are rich in vitamin C, various B vitamins, potassium and iron. You can eat both the pulp and seeds of passion fruit. Remember with how to eat passion fruit, however, that the peel is not edible.
How to eat passionfruit: basic methods
- Cut the thoroughly washed fruit in half and scoop out the pulp with the small stones.
- Kernels are also edible.
- Do not eat the white skin between the pulp and the skin as it tastes very bitter.
- Fruit peel is not edible and can be used for fertilization if it is organic.
- Tip: To get juice, you can squeeze the two halves of the fruit with a lemon squeezer or you can put the pulp through a sieve.
How to eat passionfruit: best uses
Ripe fruits can not only be enjoyed as healthy fresh fruit, they are also very suitable for the preparation of various culinary creations, such as:
- Fruit jams
- Garnish for pies and cakes
- Fruit salad
There are a multitude of other ways for how to eat passion fruits. The flesh of the passion fruit also complements the taste of desserts such as yogurts, puddings, fruit salads or smoothies. Passion fruit jam is an exotic addition to the breakfast table. Because of its acidity, passion fruit can replace vinegar in salad dressings. The sweet and sour taste of passion fruit also goes well with savory foods, for example as a sauce for poultry. And finally, because of its characteristic aroma, passion fruit juice is a popular component in many alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
The pulp of the ripe fruits can also be used for salads and hearty dishes to spice them up with a fresh and exotic taste. For example, the fruit can be combined with a cold carrot soup as well as with seafood or poultry balls.
How to eat passionfruit: How to choose a good passionfruit
With increasing ripeness, the egg to pear-shaped and between 3.5 and 9 cm large fruit of the purple grenadilla changes color from green to green-brown to purple. Many small seeds are embedded in a jelly-like, yellowish to greenish pulp. When the fruit is ripe, it begins to shrivel very slightly and the pulp takes on a pleasantly aromatic, sweet taste. Their weight also changes with increasing maturity. It will be a little easier. So that ripe fruits can be kept for a few weeks after purchase, they should be stored in the refrigerator .
If you want to eat passion fruits, you should make sure that they are close to ripe. Since the passion fruit does not ripen well, you should not buy green, only purple or dark purple fruits. It only lasts for a few days at room temperature, as the leather-like skin dries out easily.
They also don’t last very long. So when buying passion fruits, it’s best to look for a dark purple color and consume them within a few days. If your passion fruit looks a little wrinkled on the outside, that’s not a problem. It just means that the shell has lost some of its moisture. However, it is a sign that you should eat the fruit as soon as possible, otherwise the pulp can also dry out and the passion fruit no longer tastes particularly good.
Tip: You can recognize a ripe passion fruit by the fact that it feels heavy, like an egg. This is because it still has a lot of liquid in it and the pulp has not dried out too much.
Super food or environmental sin?
One of the things to consider in how to eat passionfruit is that it is not without problems environmentally, despite all the positive aspects of the delicious fruit. You should be aware that this is not a regional fruit. In nature, passion fruits are mainly found in South America, India or Africa, so they have long transport routes behind them when they end up in your supermarket. For this reason, they are not environmentally friendly.
Similar to other exotic fruits, they are also often harvested in poor conditions , which are harmful to both the harvesters and the environment. Fairtrade and organic seals help you to identify products from fair and sustainable production.
It is also important that passion fruit cultivation requires a lot of water . In arid regions in particular, the struggle for resources is often tough and unfair. For example, entire villages are not supplied with water because farms growing fruit, cotton or vegetables have a monopoly on the supply of drinking water.
So if you want to eat passion fruits and buy them in the supermarket or at the market, be aware that although they are healthy and rich in vitamins, they are not necessarily the most sustainable foods. You should therefore preferably only buy exotic fruits occasionally and in organic and fair trade quality. Alternatively, you can get many of their healthy ingredients from local superfoods. Also read how to cook zoodles: complete preparation and cooking guide.
Summary of tips
- The passion fruit is not only one of the delicious fruits, it is also a small nutrient bomb: In addition to plenty of vitamin C, the passion fruit also contains the important vitamin A and B vitamins, such as the B12 vitamin, which is so important for vegetarians and vegans.
- In addition, you absorb important nutrients such as iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus with the passion fruit.
- To supply your body with the healthy nutrients of passion fruit, all you need is a sharp knife and a spoon.
- Cut the tropical fruit in half and then spoon the flesh out of the skin. The white skin is not suitable for eating because it has a very unpleasant bitter taste. In addition, it does not contain any important nutrients.
- The peel of the passion fruit is also not edible. However, if you have bought an organic passion fruit, you should still use the peel for fertilization.
- Tip: With the passion fruit you also give a “normal” fruit salad that certain something.
How to eat passionfruit: 4 easy recipes
There are a number of nifty and healthy passion fruit recipes that are easy to prepare. The flesh seeds alone can be used in many ways. For example, you can use the flesh of passion fruit as an ingredient in your muesli, make your cake batter more juicy with a little fruit pulp, or refine quark dishes, fruit salads or hearty dishes in an exotic way.
Passion fruit is also very popular in vegetarian and vegan cuisine. There are no limits to your imagination when preparing dishes and drinks. The passion fruit recipes presented here are intended to serve as a small suggestion. Also read how to eat less meat.
Passion flower tea
A tasty and wholesome tea can be made from the flower of Passiflora incarnata (passionfruit). The tea is not only a taste experience for tea lovers, it is also effective against symptoms of stress, helps alleviate anxiety and has a positive effect on sleep disorders.
To do this, bring 500 ml of water to the boil and add a tablespoon of passion flower herb. Let the tea simmer for another five minutes and then strain it through a sieve. Drink the tea about two hours before going to bed, as its effects can be only mildly encouraging at first. After one to two hours, however, the passionflower has a sleep and dream-promoting effect.
A combination with other herbs, such as chamomile or valerian, is also possible. You can sweeten passion flower tea with honey as you like.
Passion fruit and strawberry jam
This fruity spread is easy to make and gives your strawberry jam a special, exotic note. The kernels of the passion fruit also ensure a special crunchy experience. For this passion fruit recipe you will need the following
- 6 passion fruit
- 500 grams of strawberries
- 300 grams of preserving sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
If you want to buy a passion fruit, please make sure that the fruit does not have any bruises. In order to maintain the sour taste of the passion fruit, we recommend adding preserving sugar at a ratio of 2: 1.
To prepare, briefly rinse the strawberries with water and remove the leaves. Now dice the strawberries and put the pieces in a small saucepan. Halve the passion fruit and scrape the flesh with a teaspoon. Now add the pulp to the strawberry cubes. Two teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice preserve the bright color of the fruit and increase the jam’s ability to gel. Now you put the preserving sugar in the pot and stir everything well.
While stirring constantly, bring the fruit to the boil briefly and then slightly lower the temperature. Let the fruit simmer for about five minutes while stirring. Add a pinch of cinnamon to taste. Then you fill the still hot jam into glasses and let them cool down. Finally, close the jars with a lid or with cling film. Also read how to cook eggplant correctly: preparation and cooking methods.
Passion fruit yogurt mousse
Delicious desserts can be prepared with passion fruit, be it with yoghurt, quark-based or as a mousse. There are some passion fruit mousse recipes that are easy to prepare and refreshing in taste. The preparation of fruity passion fruit yoghurt mousse takes less than 30 minutes and is an exotic and healthy dessert. You need this for this passion fruit recipe for two people
- 250 milliliters of passion fruit juice
- 200 grams of natural yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 20 g of honey
- 100 g of low-fat quark
- 1 pinch of vanilla
Put the cornstarch in a bowl and mix it with three tablespoons of passion fruit juice using a whisk. Briefly boil the remaining fruit juice in a small saucepan. Then you add the previously mixed cornstarch and let everything simmer while stirring for two to three minutes until the fruit juice thickens. Let the thickened juice cool.
Meanwhile, put the yogurt and quark in a bowl and stir both with the honey. Add a pinch of vanilla powder. Mix the cooled passion fruit mousse once and stir carefully into the yoghurt quark cream. Tip: Don’t stir too much, this will keep the passion fruit yoghurt mousse two-colored.
Carrot-ginger soup with passion fruit
Making a delicious carrot and ginger soup is quick and easy. With the addition of passion fruit you bring a fruity-fresh variety to your soup recipe. You will need the following for this exotic carrot and ginger soup with passion fruit for two:
- 4 ripe passion fruits
- 250 grams of carrots
- 1 piece of ginger
- oil for sautéing
- 100 grams of whipped cream
- 400 milliliters of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 chilli
- pepper and salt to taste
- Wash and peel the carrots and cut them into small cubes or shred them. Also read how to shred carrots: complete guide and expert tips.
- Wash, peel and finely dice the ginger as well.
- Then cut the chilli lengthways and wash it. Depending on your taste, you can remove the seeds or keep them.
- Then put some oil in a saucepan and steam the carrots, chilli pepper and ginger in it.
- Then halve the passion fruit, remove the pulp with a teaspoon and put it in a bowl. Add about 2/3 of the pulp to the steamed vegetables.
- Then add the vegetable stock and let the soup cook, covered, for about 15 minutes, until the carrots have softened.
- Then you puree the soup as you like. Then add the whipped cream and the remaining pulp of the passion fruit and bring the soup to the boil again. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and serve hot or cold.