This simple and short guide will help you clean out your Mac other storage and speed up your Mac without harm.
Mac other storage: overview
Some people who have Mac computers, have no idea what to answer when they are asked about the Mac other storage section of their devices, and why this storage is using a lot of space on the computer. For those people who already know about this term, the cleaning up of Mac other storage can seem complex, but it is not really.
So, let’s explain everything from the very beginning. You need to understand clearly that any files from the other storage of the Mac cannot do any harm to the computer, and moreover, some of them are used to make the device work more effectively and faster. Usually, users have no idea they should check and clean the Mac other storage, but in most cases, this space on your computer gets clogged up with various files. It may happen if a user creates and saves many backups on the Mac.
If you’re interested in getting effective hints on cleaning your Mac other storage section without any problems, our simple and short guide should help anyone to fulfill it successfully.
Types of files in the Mac other storage
If you need to investigate documents in the Mac other storage, it’s possible to find the next types of various documents there:
- Various plug-ins and some extensions from the applications saved on the computer
- Cached files (they include a user, system, and browser cache)
- Different disk images and various system archives
- System or temporary documents of the OS installed on this Mac
- Any personal documents of the user
- PSDs and PDFs from the device
- Documents from iCloud, various screensavers, and many other files.
Please be informed that you cannot just erase everything from the Mac’s other storage because some important and needed files should start there. Of course, you can check out the other storage and delete maximum unused and unnecessary documents from there to create more free space and speed up your device.
Follow these simple steps to remove unused documents and clean up the Mac successfully:
- First of all, you need to check out which space of your Mac’s memory is taken by the other storage’s documents. To do it successfully, go to “About this Mac” menu and select the storage tab to check out the device’s full capacity that also includes the other storage on the computer.
- Cache files should be removed fully. Now, when you know what amount of space is taken by the other storage, it’s time to clean it up. As for cache files, they can clog your computer over time, because they are just saved on the other storage without any use.
- Remove all the downloads from the Mac. Every time when you are downloading something online, these documents are saved on your device. When you want to empty the other storage of your Mac, deleting these files is your priority.
- Any temporary files should be removed from the Mac. When you are working on the computer, many files are saved temporarily to improve its performance. But over time, these documents are occupying a lot of space without any goal. So, you can remove them without any fears.
- Any old backups and unnecessary plug-ins should be removed from your Mac. These are files that do not take space on the computer, but if your main goal is to increase the storage space, delete them without any doubts. Unused and old backups aren’t useful for you at all, so by removing these documents, you can increase the computer’s performance and get some free space to save more important things later.
Is it safe to clean up the other storage?
Of course, when you want to remove something from the Mac other storage, you have to be very careful. Of course, you can easily delete cache files from some old unused applications that were removed from the Mac long ago. But be informed that if you remove something like this from current apps you use on the computer every day, you can get problems with running this application.
That’s why you should remember a simple but very effective rule – if you have no idea why your computer needs a particular document, it’s better not to touch it and leave it there. Delete only those things from Mac other storage you are sure you can delete without any problems after that.
We also recommend creating a backup of your system before you start doing something. It will help you to recover the last version if something gets wrong and your computer won’t work properly anymore. It’s quite simple and fast to create backups on the Mac using Time Machine. Or, you can choose any other way to make a backup effectively.
So, after you have got all the needed tips on cleaning the Mac other storage of the device, you should know that you can remove unused files using two methods: manual and automatic. Needless to say, it’s more time-consuming to remove documents manually because you have to handpick every file and view every document to decide if you need it or it can be deleted from the device.
Of course, the automatic way is more preferable, especially if you need to clean up the Mac other storage fast. You will have to install software that will scan your device’s other storage automatically and then suggest removing certain files from the computer. If you have chosen an automatic way, use only reliable sources to download the needed software to prevent any virus from getting on your Mac.
You should also know that some hidden files on your Mac cannot be removed manually through the trash, and these types of documents should be deleted only with special software. As you can see, it’s important to know and understand many things before you start doing something with your device. We hope you have followed our instructions and cleaned up your Mac other storage effectively!