How to transport a car correctly

Transport a car

Image via: Pexels

A vehicle has to be brought from A to B? No problem: get in, fill up and drive off. But it’s not always that easy. Be it because the car is not ready to drive, has no registration or you just do not have time. Then there are basically two options for transfer: on your own axle or by van. Read our guide on how to transport a car correctly.

Transport a car correctly. How is the car to be transferred?

Transfer on your own axle

Even if you have no time yourself, the car on the road from A to B can be driven. Many companies now offer transfer services and work with specially trained drivers to bring the car to its destination. Important: A vehicle that is transported on its own axle must be roadworthy and approved. If the car is still officially logged in, this is not a problem, otherwise short-term license plates can help out for five days. For this a passed TÜV examination is meanwhile a requirement.

In many EU countries(if you are transferring the car overseas) the short-term indicator is now recognized, but at the latest when you want to leave the EU with the vehicle, but you need a so-called export or transfer license plate – identified by a red stripe. These are valid for between 15 days and one year. Again, a TÜV certificate is required, also transfer number are taxable. No matter with which license plate you are on the road: the liability insurance for the car is indispensable; Without a corresponding insurance confirmation (eVB) from the motor insurance, you also get no short-term or transfer indicator assigned.

Transfer on a foreign axle

If the vehicle is not suitable for driving, usually only the loading remains on a trailer or a van. Overpasses by truck are not cheap, but can be worthwhile if the cost of a transfer on its own axis is very large or you want to spare the car unnecessary miles. When transporting on a truck, there is little to pay attention to – apart from the selection of a reputable transfer service. But if you are going abroad, you have to take care of the paperwork and any customs matters. But there are also transfer services that take over the entire bureaucracy for you.

How much is a vehicle transfer?

The cost usually depends on the route and whether the car is on its own axle or is moved by a truck. A short drive of only 100 to 200 kilometers usually costs several hundred dollars, for a route of about 800 kilometers. You have to expect on its own axle with around $500 to $600; the transfer by truck costs at least $900 .

Depending on the truck equipment (open or closed) and vehicle condition (it can be driven / pulled onto the truck or a crane is necessary), transports on foreign axles can quickly cost a four-digit amount. Any additional services such as the completion of formalities or a vehicle wash on delivery are usually charged extra.

How to prepare the transfer?

Anyone who hires a transfer service for transport on their own axle usually has to make sure that the vehicle is ready to drive and approved. You must therefore obtain the corresponding license plate yourself beforehand; However, there are also agencies that take over this task for a fee.

The car itself should be inspected before picking up for damage and make with the transferor once again a tour of the car, and record any previous damage in a log. So you can prove later, which scratches and dents already existed and which must have arisen during the transfer. You should also take all valuables out of the vehicle. This also applies to the transfer by truck; Again, you should record the vehicle condition in a log.

How do you recognize a reputable service provider?

Of course, anyone who entrusts his car to another person for transfer, wants the car to arrive safely. In the case of established transfer agencies, you can usually rely on them to work with trained drivers, all of whom already have a lot of experience with vehicle transfers.

Many agencies also have strict regulations, such as that the transfer drivers should not drive faster than 130 km / h. It’s best to ask the service provider directly. On the other hand, you should distance yourself from private offers: On the Internet you will find numerous advertisements of private individuals who want to earn a little money with overpasses.

Unlike professional car transferers, these are rarely trained and, above all, often uninsured. In the event of an accident, you are often left with the costs.

What should be considered when transferring to foreign countries?

Some other countries, especially of the EU, recognize the short-term license plate. If this is not the case, you need an export indicator. In any case, you should have the insurance card for your trip abroad. You get it from the insurance company, where you have the liability for the car completed. The card contains all the important information about the vehicle and your person and usually has to be presented to the police in the event of an accident. In addition, you should first make sure of the exact import regulations of the destination country and also carefully deal with any customs regulations.