Replacing windscreen wiper blades is really Car Maintenance 101, and is something you need to do quite regularly, because the rubber blades harden and perish while they are exposed to weather, and just with age as well. Our guide will show you how to replace windscreen wiper blades in 6 easy step.
How to replace windscreen wiper blades: What you will need:
New wiper blades with the correct length and type of attachment
Fabric for windshield protection
Before you start:
Make sure you are familiar with your design of the wiper system. If you can lift the wiper arms off the windscreen, stretch them to the front of the vehicle (they will stay in that position). If your wipers are designed differently, position the leaves vertically on the windshield. To do this, switch on the windscreen wipers and close the ignition key when the wiper blades are vertical.
Step by step instructions:
- Put a soft cloth between the glass and the wiper blades. This will prevent scratches.
- The release tabs allow removal of the blade unit from the arm. Use your small screwdriver to loosen the holding mechanism. For older vehicles, you may need to loosen or remove a tab or screw.
- Set aside your old blades.
- Follow the steps with the new blades either on the back of the package or on the instructions in the box.
- Once you have replaced the blades, lower the windscreen wipers back onto the glass and remove the cloth.
- Press the windscreen wipers to make sure they are properly attached.