Green, green, green are all my smoothies! Yes, you heard right. I, too, am now a real green smoothie fan, although they didn’t taste like me at all at first. But the healthy drinks can be really delicious! I also have a positive feeling because I do something good for my body and my health. You’ve probably heard about this alleged beauty maker many times – but what’s behind it? Does the beauty elixir really make you look beautiful from the inside out and make you look fitter? And what should you pay attention to? Our guide shows how to make green smoothie recipes with 8 top recipes and scores of other combinations and ideas to try.
What are green smoothies?
Green smoothies have been the beverage trend in Germany for some time. A green smoothie is a mixed drink that consists of about half of plant greens such as lettuce, leafy vegetables or herbs and the other half of fruit as well as some water or other liquids. It is often refined with superfood. This combination is the only way to make the drink full of valuable vitamins, minerals and fibre. And best of all, when you make green smoothie recipes at home, everyone can create their healthy drink as they like.
Is the green smoothie really that healthy?
In normal vegetables and thus also in the smoothies there are elements such as phytochemicals, for example chlorophyll. It keeps the intestinal flora healthy, forms new blood, has a detoxifying and disinfecting effect. It’s just as important to us as sunlight. In addition, carotenes are also present, in addition to vitamin C and fiber.
These substances have a positive effect, especially in cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure. They also reduce the risk of developing cancer. Still, don’t overdo it with the green shakes. Our body is usually no longer used to absorbing the unfiltered elements. After all, we have cooked almost everything so far, causing some ingredients to be lost or toned down. In the case of smoothies, boiling is completely dispensed with. Heat-sensitive and water-soluble vitamins and other nutrients are therefore fully preserved in the drink.
That’s why 200 to 250 milliliters per day are enough, because in excess, green smoothies can overwhelm your digestive tract.
It is often criticised that the green smoothies absorb too much sugar, but too little fat and protein from the body. However, since we are not only supposed to eat the drinks, we absorb fat and protein quite normally with our other meals. The natural fructose is always better than industrially processed sugars. In combination with the other healthy ingredients of fruits and vegetables, it is therefore positive, as the brain in particular needs a lot of sugar.
Reasons why you should drink green smoothies
- provide highly concentrated vitamins and minerals
- have a lot of fiber
- are rich in healthy chlorophyll
- help you lose weight
- give you a better skin
- reduce wrinkles
- reduce the craving for sweets and fast food
- help against craving attacks
- have a saturating effect
- provide energy
- improve your digestion
- can have a detoxifying effect
- reduce health problems
- reduce the risk of serious illnesses
- can strengthen the intestinal flora
- cause little waste
- are also suitable for on-the-go
- are durable for 2-3 days (Important: chill)
- provide variety
Overall, the green shakes are good for our body and provide more well-being!
What should be considered when you make green smoothie recipes?
- Vegetables such as celery, kohlrabi, zucchini or carrots in combination with citrus fruits can lead to bloating or digestive problems. Broccoli or cauliflower should also not be used. Here you should only process the leaves.
- Some vegetables are raw and undigested. These include, for example, aubergines, potatoes and green beans.
- Especially at the beginning it would be recommended to use only 3-4 different ingredients. With more than 5 ingredients, the green smoothie is already a hard-to-digest meal, as it’s just too many different ingredients at once that the body needs to process.
- Especially for beginners, the smoothie often tastes like too much “green stuff”. To prevent this, I recommend that you mix it with lots of fruit. It is best to use about 60-70% fruits and 30-40% vegetables.
- Start with small amounts, preferably first with a glass when you first start to make green smoothie recipes.
- Gradually you can drink more and more and increase the dose to up to 1 liter per day. This is important so that our body can digest the raw foods well and get used to the many fibers.
- Green smoothies are like a full meal and should therefore not be drunk too quickly. Drink them rather in peace sip for sip.
- However, one should not feed on it exclusively. It is best to take your power drink once a day instead of a main meal or in the afternoon as a snack.
- The rule applies: Feed as varied as possible and use different green plants! For example, if you take spinach for your drink, please make sure to buy baby spinach. This is because there is by far less oxalic acid in this area than in normal spinach. Too much of the acid would favor kidney stones.
Who are the Green Smoothies only partially suitable for?
- People with diabetes, fructose intolerance or histamine intolerance:
Here you have to pay attention to a specific set of recipes that are well tolerated for these groups of people.
- People with intestinal diseases and other serious diseases of the digestive organs:
The already overwhelmed immune system is even more overloaded by the high number of fiber.
- People taking the drug “Marcumar”:
Vitamin K is then probably not tolerated so well. However, this is increasingly contained in green plants.
- Pregnant (up to 6th month) and nursing women:
During this time, green smoothies are unsuitable, partly due to possible detoxification symptoms that are transmitted to the child. Losing weight is also less sensible in the meantime.
Which ingredients are particularly suitable?
There are hardly any limits to your imagination when it is made to choose the ingredients. Just take what you like or what you have at home when you make green smoothie recipes.
- What is most important about green smoothie? Of course, the plant green! Here you can use salads such as lettuce, field salad, oak leaf salad or rocket, spinach vegetables such as baby spinach or chard, but also the leafy greens of various vegetables such as kohlrabi, carrots, radishes and beetroot.
- During a walk through the forest and meadow, wild herbs such as dandelions, nettles, greed, clover, chamomile, pointed-toe or sorrel can be collected, which fit perfectly into your healthy shake, while also being free and extremely healthy when you make green smoothie recipes.
- Garden herbs include a wide variety of herbs that you have at hand, such as basil, oregano, cress, thyme, tarragon, parsley, sage, lemon balm, or mint. You may also have a homemade herb garden in your kitchen where you can serve yourself.
- You can combine all kinds of fruit such as pineapple, mango, apple, melon, kiwi or various berries. Bananas are particularly popular as they make the smoothie beautifully creamy and sweet at the same time. It is important that the fruit is ripe.
- As a liquid, spring water or distilled water is recommended as it contains the least calories and is the healthiest. But also milk (classic or in the form of coconut rice or nut milk), coconut water, various fruit juices or teas such as green tea are great alternatives.
- As a topping you can still take superfood, it makes your power drink tastier and healthier. Chia, hemp and flaxseeds, but also goji berries and matcha are particularly healthy. Coconut in the form of oil or flakes gives a delicious taste. Cocoa, cinnamon or vanilla also refine the drink.
- You can be creative with spices. Ginger, turmeric, cardamom, carnations or nutmeg are suitable here. If you are more experimental, you can also try pepper, cumin, peppers or chilli.
And again briefly: How to combine your green smoothie:
- Plant green: spinach, lettuce, cucumber, kale, garden cheese, green of various vegetables,…
– Choose as the basis of one of these green plants (2 handfuls)
- Fruits: tropical fruits, stone fruit, seed fruit, berries, …
– Take 1-2 fruits of your choice (2 handfuls)
- Liquid: water, milk, coconut water, almond milk, juice, tea, …
– Select one of these liquids (approx. 1/4 litre)
- Superfood: chia seeds, ginger, cinnamon, matcha, cocoa, flaxseeds, coconut oil, coconut flakes, …
– Optionally you can still use superfood (1-2 tbsp) supplements when you make green smoothie recipes.
How to prepare the healthy drink?
To prepare your smoothie, you should first wash the fresh ingredients well and, if necessary, core them. Cut the vegetables with a stand mixer or a purée stick. Then add the fruit. Then add some water or some other liquid so that your drink doesn’t become too viscous. The drink is made quickly and tastes exotically fresh. With Superfood you can spice up your smoothie.
Recipes for delicious green smoothies:
You’ve got the taste now and want to imitate your own green smoothie at home? I’ll tell you some recipes that are perfect for beginners. The following ingredients come into the blender and are mixed for about 1 minute.
- 2 bananas
- 125g baby spinach
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1 mango
- 250g pineapple
- 100g salad
- 250 ml coconut water
- 120 g berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 125 g baby spinach
- 350 ml water
- 1/2 avocado
- Some lemon juice
- Handful of baby spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 125 ml almond milk
- 125 ml water
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 2 leaves mint
- 1 slice of melon
- 1 piece of pineapple
- 1 small banana
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 150 ml coconut water
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 100 ml apple juice
- 100 ml water
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 piece of pineapple
- 1/2 banana
- 200 ml orange juice
- 40g agave syrup or dates
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 banana
- 1 Avocacdo
- 150g cucumber
- 200 ml green tea
Other simple combinations:
- Banana, Spinach, Apple, Ginger, Water
- Banana, spinach, pineapple, coconut milk, chia seeds, cinnamon
- Banana, Spinach, Lemon Juice, Nut Milk
- Banana, Spinach, Grapefruit, Pomegranate, Water
- Banana, kale, ginger, flaxseed, water
- banana, kale, apple, orange juice, water
- Banana, kale, pineapple, coconut flakes, water
- Banana, Broccoli, Mango, Lemon Juice, Water
- Banana, Mangold, Mango, Mint, Lemon Juice, Turmeric, Water
- Banana, Parsley, Cucumber, Apple, Water
- Banana, parsley, carrot green, honeymelon, water
- Kale, Avocado, Basil, Lemon Juice, Water
- Kale, Kiwi, Ginger, Lemon Juice, Water
- Field salad, pear, ginger, berries, water
- Field salad, ginger, orange juice, water
- Spinach, Apple, Ginger, Orange Juice, Water
- Spinach, Avocado, Pineapple, Lemon Juice, Agave Syrup, Coconut Water
- Lettuce, Avocado, Cucumber, Water
- Lettuce, melon, banana, lemon juice, water
- Chinese cabbage, blueberries, banana, orange juice, water
- Dandelion, Celery, Pineapple, Banana, Ginger, Water
- Radishes green, mint, strawberry, pineapple, banana, water
- Basil, Pineapple, Yoghurt, Chia Seeds, Water
- Rocket, Banana, Mango, Mint, Lemon Juice, Green Tea
- Cucumber, Avocado, Mint, Lemon Juice, Honey, Coconut Milk
- Avocado, Honeymelon, Lemon Juice, Yogurt, Honey, Milk
This list could be extended a lot. Just try different combinations and decide for yourself which of the drinks you like best. Listen to your body and you will notice which ingredients are most digestible for you in what quantity.