Cleaning, Garden, Home

How to get rid of mold and mildew

In small amounts, mold spores are hardly a problem for the human body. But through increasingly dense window and door systems, molds in the house get an optimized living space. Quickly it comes to the rapid growth of the dangerous fungus, so you should get rid of mold quickly.

Increased levels of living space can cause allergies, asthma and difficulty in breathing. If children grow up in moldy rooms, the risk of developing one of these diseases is particularly high. 

Choose with care: Mold remover must be of high quality

The main focus of mold growth is the bathroom. With molds that are always moist and warm, the molds grow especially well here. Most products are therefore particularly well applicable in joints and on tiles. There are chlorine-containing and chlorine-free products. Products without chlorine clearly require several applications and are not as effective as chlorine-containing products. With minimal mold, these products can be enough and the application is easy.

Chlorine-containing products clean significantly faster and more effectively, there are a few important things to keep in mind when dealing with these products: Chlorine-containing products decompose when used in the components water, salt and about 1% volatile gas. For application, it is therefore advisable to use a brush and to ventilate the room well.

After use, no harmful substances remain on the material, but also no active ingredients. It is therefore important to protect the cleaned surfaces with mold-stopping agents against new infestation. Chlorine-containing cleaners gradually become ineffective when dirt gets into the container. So do not immerse the brush in the container, but always remove a small amount and use it up.

Get rid of mold: Do not buy chlorinated spray cleaners!

By spraying on the mold spores, chlorine gas reaches the ambient air in an increased concentration and is forcibly inhaled. It also threatens the risk of skin irritation.

When working with mold removal, always wear protective gloves and protective goggles to protect yourself from being scoured. In addition, mold removers must never be mixed with other chemicals. This can lead to unwanted reactions that produce toxic gases and vapors

Important: Mildew on wall surfaces is almost always caused by an existing cold / thermal bridge and not by rising damp in the wall. There is a dew point on the affected area where water is steadily condensed. These areas are structurally the coldest areas in the room. Mold often forms behind furniture pieces that are placed on the outside wall.

So if you have mold on wall surfaces, after cleaning you always need an active, disinfecting agent that prevents new mold growth. Because cleaning never removes the cause of the mold in these cases. You need to get rid of mold properly.

Get rid of mold: Make mildew remover from home remedies

Especially with babies and toddlers, many parents are concerned about using a chemical agent. Due to the hazards of the application, natural mildew removers should be made from home remedies.

Particularly effective is methylated spirits (ethyl alcohol), which can alternatively be replaced by the more expensive high-proof alcohol from the supermarket. Apply this to the surface affected by mold. However, you should be careful not to use this method on wood or plastic surfaces. The alcohol penetrates into the material and removes the moisture so the mold spores cannot survive. Also pay attention to the flammability.

You can also choose a solution of hydrogen peroxide that is at least five percent effective in combating mold. This product is odorless and decomposes after application on the spores in water. Especially nice is that the H2O2 can be used on almost all surfaces. Only textiles should be avoided, as they fade and bleach when it is applied.

gerhardt-richter Gerhardt Richter is a writer and a trainer at trade technical colleges, specializing in carpentry, plumbing, mechanics and construction.