Our guide on how to cook pork belly outlines 3 different pork belly recipes, 2 for a great crispy finish and one easy Asian-influenced dish.
How to cook pork belly: 3 recipes
Crispy pork belly recipe with caraway seeds
ingredients for 2 people
|Pork belly – nice and lean||1 kg|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|onion , diced||1 large|
|Garlic cloves chopped||2|
|Caraway seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 teaspoon|
|Dark beer||0.3 l|
Nutritional information: per 100g
kJ (kcal) 401 (96) protein 2.2 g carbohydrates 6.3 g fat 6.8 g
Preparation: 20 min
Cooking time:2 hrs 10 mins
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
1. Pour boiling water into a large pot – 2 to 3 cm high – then place the meat with the rind side down and simmer for about 15 minutes. Lift out the belly and cut across the rind with a sharp knife about 0.5 cm deep. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees using a suitable dish.
2. At the same time fry the onion cubes in hot olive oil in a pan, and when they start to take on color, add the garlic and caraway seeds, also the tomato paste … roast everything and deglaze with vinegar and dark beer or pilsener. Transfer this into the oven dish.
3. Place the pork belly in this dish with the rind side up and let it roast for at least 2 hours, pouring a little beer over it from time to time. Repeatedly brushing with strong salty cold water (1 teaspoon of salt in 200 ml of water) will make the rind crack.
4. Let the meat rest in the switched off oven until the sauce is ready. To do this, extend the roasting set with a little broth and puree with a hand blender, if necessary stir in a little mixed cornstarch to thicken, season well and serve with the sliced meat.
Crispy pork belly recipe with bay leaves and honey
ingredients for 2 people
|400 g||Roast pork (belly)|
|2 ½||Clove (noun)|
|1 ½||Bay leaves|
|1 tbsp||Honey, more liquid|
|165 ml||Beer (pilsener or dark beer)|
|1 tbsp||soy sauce|
|½ tsp||Thyme, chopped|
|½ tsp||Rosemary, chopped|
|Possibly.||salt and pepper|
Nutritional values per serving
kcal 724, protein 46.39 g, fat 48.99 g, Carbohydrate 19.81 g
Working time approx. 20 minutes
Cooking / baking time approx. 1 hour 20 minutes
Total time approx. 1 hour 40 minutes
Rinse the pork belly with cold water and place in a saucepan with cold water. Peel the onion, lard it with the cloves and bay leaves and add to the pork belly. Bring the water to a boil and cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes. Remove the pork belly and scratch the skin with a sharp knife in a diamond shape.
Bring the honey, beer, soy sauce with the thyme and rosemary to the boil. Place the pork belly on the tray with the skin facing upwards and cook in the preheated oven at approx. 220 ° C (no convection, gas level 3-4) for approx. 40 minutes. Brush with the beer glaze often. Then take it out, let it rest for 5 minutes and serve thinly.
Also tastes great cold the day after.
Oriental pork belly recipe
ingredients for 4 people
- 550 g pork belly (boneless, but with nice layers of meat)
- 1 piece of ginger (3 cm)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1000 ml water (cold)
- White radish (to garnish as desired)
For the sauce:
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 5 tbsp Mirin (alternatively port wine)
- 1 piece of ginger (2 cm, roughly cut)
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50 ml Japanese Dashi (or 1/2 teaspoon Hondashi powder)
- For the cooked pork belly, first put cold water with ginger, garlic, onion and meat on top and bring to the boil. Then simmer for about 1 hour. Strain the water and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan. Add the meat and simmer until the meat takes on the color of the soy sauce and is so soft that it can be easily eaten with chopsticks. Serve the cooked pork belly and garnish with grated white radish if you like.