Rain or sunshine, you will love these easy rock craft projects for young children. And with a focus on absolutely adorable gardening craft for kids, it’s a great way to encourage them outdoors with you. Is there a better way to celebrate the beauty of nature, life and growth than with these colorful creations that you can put up in your garden? Read on for craft ideas that you will be enjoy doing with your children.
Easy rock craft project for young children: Ladybugs
To make these cheerful ladybugs, you need some acrylic paint, smooth stones and a few other simple materials. When you’re done, you can place these adorable little ladybugs anywhere in your garden to add some beautiful color spots and complement your flowers. You can even put some near houseplants or wherever you want beautiful colors in the house!
How to do it
- Make sure the stones are smooth, clean and dry. If you find ones that are a good shape but dirty, wash them first and let them dry for a day before you paint them. The long drying time is because many rocks are porous, and if they are still holding water when you paint them, the paint will later peel off.
- Give them the first coat of the chosen colour.
- Let that dry, then apply a second coat if needed.
- After that is dry, you are ready to do the details.
- Cut a neat round hole in a piece of cardboard or plastic, so the children can use it as a template for the ladybug’s spots and eyes.
- Use the template to mark where the spots and eyes will be, running around the inside of the hole with a marker.
- Paint in the spots and the eyes.
- You might want to also stick buttons on for eyes.
- When the painting etc is done, coat the entire ladybug with a coat of PVA glue — known also as craft glue and available from all hobby shops and hardware stores — which will go on white but dry clear, and will protect the paint by making it a bit more waterproof.
You can also use other shaped rocks to make different creatures — even ones you and the children invent from your imagination.
Easy rock craft projects for young children: Caterpillar
Another nice garden craft idea that uses painted rocks is to form a caterpillar out of the rocks.
How to do it
All you have to do is paint each stone a beautiful color with the acrylic paint, adding patterns as you choose. Then align to make a caterpillar and glue the rocks together, using either contact cement or a hot glue gun. Add a nice face and antennas to your head, and voila! An adorable caterpillar that you can put in your garden or window sill. Brilliant!
Easy rock craft projects for young children: Cactus
Want more ways to use painted stones to make a gardencraft? This pretty and clever idea in our main image above uses smooth stones to make mini cactus plants that are fun and easy to make, cheap and free of needles can sting small fingers. It is a wonderful craft for children! And they don’t have to all be green either. After al, why not have a purple cactus if you want to?
How to do it
All you need are a few stones, acrylic craft color (here we have used green and white tones), flower moss and small flower pots and you have what it takes to cute mini “cactus plants”. Paint each stone separately, then glue them in a stack in the miniature flower pots. You can make a whole cactus garden with different sized pots, and they make a great gift for grandma too.