What are the best ways to remove nicotine stains easily? Our guide outlines many methods you can use, plus how to remove nicotine stains from specific surfaces.
Nicotine is stubborn and very difficult to remove from certain materials once it has settled. With long-time smoking in the apartment and lack of cleaning, sometimes only a renovation of the apartment helps. Nevertheless, there are some helpful tips for removing nicotine from surfaces such as wood, plastic, metal and glass, as well as from your fingers.
- Nicotine has the unpleasant property of etching itself in over time, so you should wash textiles such as curtains, tablecloths or pillowcases regularly, otherwise you won’t get the ugly nicotine smell and residue out.
- Citric acid or the juice of squeezed lemons is a way to combat the brown topping . If you have nicotine stains on your hands, you can also clean your fingers with the lemon juice. Put a good dash of lemon in warm water and put your fingers in it. Alternatively, dissolve four denture cleaner tablets in warm water and keep your fingers clean for a few minutes.
- With citric acid, you can also clean yellowed plastic surfaces such as window frames relatively well. Vinegar cleaner is also helpful here.
- Active glass cleaner foam helps with stubborn nicotine topping on smooth plastic surfaces. Spray on the cleaner and let it soak in for a few minutes before wiping it with warm water. Alternatively, use oven cleaner.
- Plastic parts such as sockets can usually be easily cleaned in the dishwasher. However, make sure that the sockets are dry before you put them back in.
- If you want to remove the nicotine coating from carpets, use a spray extraction device that you can rent from many hardware stores.
- A not very cheap but mostly effective solution to get rid of stubborn nicotine residues in the home is ozone. Special cleaning companies offer this service. In addition to the costs, you have to expect that you will not be allowed to enter the apartment for at least two days.
Remove nicotine stains from specific surfaces
An effective remedy for nicotine stains is powdered lye . Nicotine deposits on cupboards or on the heater can be removed with it, so that unsightly yellow discolorations disappear. Simply stir the lye with water, apply, leave to soak and finally wipe off.
Nicotine on plastic, wood, metal and ceramic surfaces can be combated with glass cleaner foam . However, this application does not help on surfaces in which the nicotine from the cigarette smoke has already settled, such as wallpaper. Especially with white plastic or glass , shaving foam can be used to remove the stains.
If the windows or window frames have discolored the nicotine, you can clean them again with citric acid or chlorine cleaner. Simply apply and wipe the yellowed areas thoroughly.
Also nicotine removal from tiles can be done through various means. Toothpaste, oven spray or cleaning stone are helpful. With a steam cleaner, you can remove nicotine deposits without any chemicals.
Remove nicotine stains and smell from the carpet
Basically, it is very difficult to get nicotine deposits out of fabric materials such as carpets, curtains, tablecloths or pillowcases. To avoid unsightly discoloration, you should wash such materials regularly and ventilate them a lot in the apartment . If it is already too late, you can clean carpets with a spray extraction device . The cleaning solution penetrates deep into the fibers. However, the device is quite expensive.
Remove nicotine stains from clothes and fabric
Place the discolored textiles in a warm water bath with a two or three tabs of denture cleaner or two tablespoons of dishwashing detergent. Let them soak there overnight. Then wash them as usual. If you are lucky, the spots will disappear afterwards. Of course, you can simply treat white laundry with bleach containing chlorine or oxygen.
Remove nicotine stains from windows or smooth surfaces
Windows in smoking apartments get an ugly brown veil over time. This looks unsightly, but can usually be removed easily: Simply put a little glass cleaner on the pane and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Then wipe with a little clear water. Glass cleaners also help with discolouration on lampshades, cupboards, tiles, window frames, mirrors or other smooth surfaces. Alternatively, you can also use dish soap.
Be sure to wear gloves when cleaning to prevent discoloration on your hands.
Remove nicotine stains from the wall
Bad news: nicotine stains cannot be removed from the wallpaper and they cannot be painted over with a simple wall paint. Painting over the discoloration may temporarily improve, but after a short time the yellowish spots will shimmer through again.
Simply painting over a plastered or wallpapered wall is not a long-term solution to removing nicotine. The deposits are water-soluble and are activated by the paint, which means that they can be seen again after painting. Also, wallpapering is not beneficial because the wallpaper paste also contains water.
Only painting over with thick insulating paint will make the nicotine stains disappear permanently or – even better – tear off the wallpaper and re-wallpaper. This is the only way to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
Remove the smell of smoke from the car
In order to remove nicotine stains and unpleasant cigarette smells from the car, the interior must be cleaned thoroughly . First of all, all superficial residues (ash residues etc.) should be removed with the vacuum cleaner. Then it’s time to clean the window and clean car seats . Depending on whether you have car seats made of fabric or leather, various cleaning and household products are suitable for cleaning. If you have already taken the time to thoroughly rid your car of nicotine, the most sustainable solution is, of course, not to smoke in the car in the future and to plan a few smoking breaks for long distances.
Remove nicotine stains on fingers
Yellowish discoloration from smoking on the fingers and nails is annoying and unappetizing. The good old home remedies baking soda can help . Simply mix with a little water, stir until a solid mass forms and then apply to the affected areas. The stains can also be removed using lemon juice and vinegar . Wash hands from time to time. Another method is to carefully scrape off the nicotine with a pumice stone or exfoliating tool.