Outlines how to join a Discord server, how to leave a Discord server, create one or delete one, plus how to expand channels, invite people, add a music bot, do video chat or change Discord nicknames.
With Discord you have the opportunity to exchange ideas with other people on certain topics. And the team chat program Discord is becoming the increasingly popular alternative to TeamSpeak, especially in gaming circles. Here you have the opportunity to chat with each other not only via text and audio, but also via video. The data traffic runs through Discord’s own servers. If you want to create multiple channels or a bot, you need your own server. A ‘rental’, as known from TeamSpeak, is not necessary with Discord.
What is a Discord server?
A Discord server can fundamentally be viewed as a platform for the exchange of equal interests. It can therefore be helpful to create several servers for different areas of interest. A server contains all your text and voice channels for a specific area. You can also create several text and language channels to bring even more structure and clarity to the matter.
For example, if you set up a server for gaming-specific topics, you can bundle all chat channels for your online games here. You can then create a single chat channel within the server for each game. This can help new group members with the choice of chat channels. By assigning specific interests, you only communicate with people who have the same interests.
How to join a Discord server
How In this section, we are going to show you how to join a server in Discord. Below we will also show you how to leave a Discord server. You will usually receive an invitation link for the Discord server to join. Then follow these steps:
- Open Discord and click the framed plus in the left bar.
- Now select “Join server”.
- Then enter the invitation link in the field and confirm.
- Finished! You have now joined the server stored in the link.
Discord server finder: using Discord server search
You can find discord servers, including featured and other servers, using the search function at https://discordservers.com/
Discord server names and Discord server nicknames
There may come a time when your current nickname no longer defines you and you want to make a change. You may just want to add something for a special occasion or party. The beauty of Discord is that it allows you to discord change nickname for the one you want, as long as the owner of the server has granted you the appropriate role permissions.
How to change a Discord server nickname: 3 methods
There are some ways you can alter or edit your current discord nickname. Keep in mind that you can change your nickname and what everyone else sees in the user list for each discord server in which you are a member. Changing your nickname does not change your account original username, and people can still locate you using it if they wish.
Of the three options, you have how to change nickname on discord, we will start with the most detailed method.
How to change a Discord nickname: Method 1
- Start the Discord application and, if prompted, log in with your email and password.
- If you do not have the desktop version of the Discord application on your computer, you can use the Discord web application in your Internet browser. Use the URL www.discordapp.com and enter there. Once everything is loaded and launched:
- Click on the white cogwheel icon next to your username at the bottom left section. This is your User Settings gear icon, and it will open your User Settings page.
- Click the Edit button in the upper right corner of the “User settings menu” page, located under the heading “MY ACCOUNT“. Here you can edit information such as your username, email, and password.
- Within the text field just below “discord nickname“, your current nickname will be displayed. Delete your old nickname and enter the new one. If you wish, you can fill in the field «EMAIL» with a new entry or click on «Change Password?
- Once you have finished with the changes, you will have to confirm your identity by entering your password before you can save the newly edited information. Then, click on the Save button in the lower right corner of the “MY ACCOUNT” section to save all the modified information.
Method 2: Quick way to do a Discord nickname change
A faster way for how to change a nickname on discord than the previous one, especially on a server that does not belong to you:
- Click on the server configuration menu bar at the top of the Discord window. It will have the server nickname on it and a down arrow to the right of it.
- In the dropdown menu, click Change nickname.
- Here, you can enter your new username in the field where your current username is located. Once you have written it and are satisfied, click on the blue save button.
Method 3 for how to change a nickname on Discord: The quickest way
- If you feel like using the slash command to click and scroll, typing $0027 / nick $0027 in the message entry area (followed by a space), and then entering your new discord nickname, you can change it. This solution is much faster than those mentioned above.
- You can do this for each, and every server you have access to, as long as your current role hierarchy within that server group allows you to change it.
How to start a Discord video chat
Want to start a video chat on Discord? We’ll show you how. Discord is repeatedly compared to other messengers such as Skype. This is not entirely wrong, as many functions are actually similar. This includes the chat function, but also telephony and even video telephony. We’ll show you how to start a video call below.
- Join a voice channel on any server. Simply tap on the desired channel under ” Voice channels “.
- Then tap the camera symbol in the lower left to switch your camera on.
- So far, a maximum of 25 users can use this function at the same time.
- Select any server and then under ” Voice Channels ” connect to a voice channel by simply clicking on it.
- If you are connected, you can also switch on your camera by clicking on ” Graphics ” below.
- This function is currently limited to 25 users at the same time.
How to Video chat in direct messages
View participants of the chat
Select any chat in your direct messages. Then tap on the symbol with the two people in the upper right corner .
Then tap ” Video ” to start video chat.
Select a user or a group with multiple users from your direct messages. To start the video call now, in a private conversation, click Start Video Call . As soon as your chat partner confirms the call, you can talk to each other without any problems.
How to leave a Discord server
Perhaps the people on the Discord server have changed or it is simply no longer what you wanted thematically. No matter why you want to leave a server, Discord makes it very easy for you. If you no longer want to stay for various reasons, you can follow our steps for how to leave Discord servers. The procedure for how to leave a Discord server differs depending on whether you are accessing it via an app or the desktop. Below we will show you how it works. Note: This method only works if you are not on your own server. You cannot leave your own server.
How to leave Discord server: Smartphone
- Open menu
- Select the Discord server you want to leave and tap on the three-dot menu in the top right next to the server’s name .
- Then tap on ” Leave server “.
How to leave a Discord server: Desktop
- Go to the Discord server you want to leave.
- Click on the surface with the name of the server in it (and a small arrow next to it).
- A menu opens in which you click on the lowest point ” Exit server “.
- Confirm exit
- Now you have to confirm that you want to ” leave the server “.
How to create a Discord server
With Discord you can also create your own servers and thus create a communication room according to your own ideas. Our guide shows you how to do it step by step. It is not necessary to rent your own Discord server. Instead, you can use Discord’s servers yourself – and it’s easy to do. To create your own Discord server, follow these steps:
- Open Discord, log in and click the + icon on the left to create a new server.
- Then you have the choice of creating a server or joining an existing server. Click on “Create”.
- Now the server information follows. Give the server a name and add a picture. This must be at least 128×128 pixels. Also set the server region.
- Click on “Create”.
Your server now exists and can be used. For example, you can now invite your friends and create channels. This is useful in order to maintain an overview and to create a logical structure. As is well known, there are no costs: The paid subscription Discord Nitro is not necessary to create your own Discord server.
Add channels or invite people
- Click on the plus symbol under Text or Voice Channels to create additional channels or add new group members via ” Invite people “.
- Via ” Copy ” the link to the invitation is placed on the server in your clipboard. Send the link to the contacts you want to add to the server. To paste, press [Ctrl] + [V] .
- Make a right click on the server icon and then click on ” Overview “.
- If necessary, assign moderation and administration rights under ” Roles “.
- You may also want to stylize it with Discord server icons and emojis to dress it up!
How to add a music bot to a Discord server
You can use a music bot to listen to music on your Discord channel. A Discord music bot extends your Discord server by the possibility of listening to music in your channel together with your friends. The bots have their own commands with which you can play music or create a playlist. Find out where you can find bots, which ones are available and how to add a bot to your Discord server in our tips + tricks.
Where can I find a music bot for Discord?
So that you can find a suitable music bot of your choice, the top.gg site offers a search engine for bots that you can add to your Discord server. To do this, enter ” Music Bot ” in the search field and then click on ” Search “. You will now receive a selection of music bots , as well as a brief description and the number of servers that use the bot.
Which music bots are recommended?
In our instructions we use Rythm , which is one of the most widely used bots. If you don’t like this bot, take a look at the following services:
In our step-by-step guide , you will learn how you can add a music bot to your channel using Rythm as an example. You can also watch the explanatory video or the quick start guide . The process for other music bots is analogous to this. You can find out which different instructions the bot reacts to in the documentation for the corresponding bot. It is important that you are the server admin of the Discord channel.
- Go to the Rythm website and invite the bot
- Open the website of the selected Discord bot. We choose rythmbot.co . There you invite the bot via a button called either ” Invite ” or ” Invite to Discord Server”.
- Enter login data
- Then enter your email address and password for Discord and click on ” Sign in “. If you are already registered, this step is not necessary for you.
- You now have to grant the bot the required permissions for your Discord server. To do this, select your server under ” Select a server ” and confirm the permissions with ” Authorize”.
- Call up the command list
- The bot will now automatically be added to your channel. In the instructions of the bot you can read what commands to use to activate it. In the case of Rythm, just enter “Help” to get to the command list .
How to delete a Discord server
If a Discord server you have created is no longer used, you can simply delete it. You can read how to do this in this practical section.
- From within Discord , right click on the icon of the server you want to delete.
- In the context menu, select the entry “Server Settings” and then “Overview”.
- You can now see all the configuration options for the server. Click on the “Delete server” entry at the bottom.
- You will be asked if you really want to delete the server. To confirm this, enter the server name in the displayed input field and then click on the “Delete server” button.
How to build a NAS file server
How to clone a Git repository: step-by-step guides for 3 ways
How to fix Xbox One controller drift and other problems
How to fix packet loss: complete guide
How does weather affect cable internet speeds?
Nathan James lives for gaming, and is a fan of everything from vintage Pong to the latest virtual reality games. He also loves to tinker with hardware in that never-ending search for more power and speed.