Our guide outlines easy ways to make a DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus. Protective equipment, and especially respirator masks, can quickly become scarce in crisis situations such as the Corona pandemic.
In order to ensure that a sufficient number of protective masks are available for medical professionals and members of the risk groups in times of scarcity, you can use homemade mouth-nose masks for private use.This so-called makeshift-mouth-nose protection does not meet the high standards of medical devices and does not guarantee protection against infection.
In addition, take care of your self-protection on your own by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from your fellow human beings outside the home.
Washing regularly for at least 30 seconds, cough and sneezing into the elbow and do not touch your face. Also note the contact and exit restrictions in your respective state.
A simple mouth-nose mask, whether bought or sewn by yourself, is primarily used to protect people:the face mask prevents small droplets from flying through the air when coughing or sneezing and infecting people nearby – whether with coronavirus COVID-19, the flu or a common cold.
DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus without sewing
For external protection in public, private individuals can make their own mouth-nose covering, advises virologist Christian Drosten and shares a guide from the South China Morning Post:
According to Hong Kong University, these mouth-nose masks offer a filtration value of 80-90 percent of medical masks, providing short-term protectionwhen you need to move outside.
For the homemade makeshift mask you need:
- 2 sheets kitchen roll
- 1 paper towel
- Painter’s crepe or other wide adhesive tape
- 4 rubber bands
- A short piece of wire, about so long that you can comfortably place it across your nose
- Scissors and punchers
Wash your hands thoroughly and disinfect all materialsbefore you start making the mouth-nose mask. This is especially true if you make a DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus for others.
- Place the sheets of kitchen paper on top of each other, a sheet should be rotated 90 degrees.
- Place the spread paper towel in the middle of the kitchen paper. This will make the inside of your mouth covering.
- Cut the three layers to the size of the paper towel.
- Cut the pile of paper exactly in the middle and place the two halves flush on top of each other. You can correct the overstanding edges with scissors.
- Reinforce the short edges on both sides with the painter’s crepe.
- With the Puncher, now punch the mask on both sides of the tape edges so that there is a hole at each corner.
- Now take the wire, place it in the middle on the top edge and fix it with tape. This noseband later ensures a better fit of your mask. Make sure that the wire bends well. The closure of freezer bags or pipe cleaners, for example, is a good one.
- Now drag the rubber bands through the holes in the corners of the mask and attach them with a loop so that the rubber band holds itself.
To put on your DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus, first pull the upper rubber bands over the ears, then the lower ones.Tip: an even better fit gets your face mask to make yourself if you fold a small fold on the short sides after the first and after the second third of the length and fix it with the tacker.
You can only use this mouth covering once. When undressing, be careful not to touch the mask with unprotected hands and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
Reusable washable DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus
According to the same principle, you can also sew a makeshift mask yourself. To do this, use a sheet of kitchen roll as a size and solid fabric that can be washed at temperatures up to 95 degrees.
Also here, make sure to wash your hands before sewing the mouth-nose mask, and disinfect all the tools and materials.
- Measure the fabric with the kitchen roll sheet and cut through the measured piece of fabric in the middle.
- Place the piece of wire at the top of the middle on one of the pieces of fabric, place the other piece of fabric on top and sew the wire into a small “bag”.
- Then sew the two pieces of fabric on both long sides. The short pages remain open: Here you can fill the mask with additional filter material.
- Cut the filter fabric to the size of your face mask and gently slide the filter into the mask.
- To keep the mask on your face, you can either o-yourself small eyelets at the corners, where you attach rubber bands as in the disposable version. Fabric strips for tying or rubber bands in clothing quality sewn in the mask are also suitable.
Filters made of electrostatic electrificationare particularly suitable as filters for changing. This material is processed in air filters and in high-quality vacuum cleaner bags.Simply cut a vacuum cleaner bag to the appropriate size and slide the filter into the fabric mask.
However, the effect of electret filters decreases over time and is lost as soon as the filter is washed. An alternative is Molton fabric or very densely woven cotton fabric. A kitchen towel or microfibre cloths folded several times are also good alternatives to electret.
Also with this mask you can customize the fitby fixing a fold of any thickness with a seam on both sides after the first and second thirds of the short sides.
After wearing, remove the filter and throw it away. Wash the mask in the cooking wash or cook on the stove to disinfect it.
DIY face mask to avoid coronavirus for children
Although there are numerous patterns for face masks for children circulating on the Internet, especially young children should not wear homemade mouth coverings: there is a risk of suffocation here!
After consultation with the pediatrician, your child can wear a certified mask for children. Babies, on the other hand, should never wear a face mask.
Disinfect makeshift mask
Heat has proven its worth for disinfection without disinfectants. Coronaviruses in particular are described by scientists as sensitive to hot water.
Wash your self-sewn face mask as hot as possible and iron it at the highest level for about a minute before each use.
Instead of washing the fabric masks in the washing machine, you can also cook them in a cooking pot on the stove in plenty of water for about 5 minutes. Then simply hang up to dry.