Homemade ice cream must also be served befittingly: in the waffle cone. Waffle cones are available in shops, but making them is not difficult at all. This is the recipe and method to make ice cream waffle cones at home.
Make ice cream waffle cones: what you need
If you want to make ice cream waffles yourself, you’ll need a few accessories: a waffle iron and a cone shape to wrap the waffle around. The latter is not absolutely necessary, after all, other shapes can be formed. Also the preparation of the waffles in the oven is possible.
Most of the ingredients for the dough are certainly at home anyway. Be sure to use a pan that gives the waffles a full round shape.
For about 20 waffle cones you need:
- 90 g of butter
- 1 egg
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 100 g of sugar
- 125 ml of water
- 175 g of flour
Tip: A wafer dough with water will be crispier than a dough with milk.
Make ice cream waffle cones: the steps
- Melt the butter and stir it with the vanilla sugar, sugar and egg.
- Now add the water and the flour and stir everything until a smooth dough is formed.
- When the dough is ready, it should rest for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- Then heat the waffle iron and place a tablespoon of dough on a waffle.
- Bake the waffle golden brown and take it out with a fork.
- Then wrap the hot waffles around the cone shape to form a bottomed ice cream cone.
- Now you just have to let the waffle cool down.
- Do the rest of the dough in the same way.
- Form the waffles directly when they are still hot, otherwise they can break apart.
- If the waffles are too hot for you to touch, put on thin rubber gloves.
Make ice cream waffles yourself without waffle iron
- If you do not have a waffle iron, you can bake the waffles in the oven.
- Prepare the dough as described above and let it rest.
- Preheat the oven and lay out a tray with baking paper.
- Blot a heaped tablespoon of dough onto the baking paper.
- Now spread the dough with the back of a spoon to an oval with a size of about ten to 15 centimeters.
- Bake the handmade waffles for about ten minutes at 175 degrees Celsius until the ovals are firm and golden brown.
- Now you can make the hot pancakes with a cone shape.
Without cone: alternatives
No problem if you do not have a cone to form on: you can still make ice cream waffle cones. If you do not have a cone shape, you can make the ice cream waffles by hand by placing the ready-made waffles on a plate and spiraling them into shape. When the waffle is finished, hold it briefly to cool with the opening down so it does not fall.
Of course, other ice cream shapes can be formed, only your creativity is required. For example, you can put the still hot waffle over a glass of water to make an edible sundae. You can also push the hot waffles into a glass or cup to get a bowl.
Alternatively, you can also make waffle rolls for decoration: Roll the waffle on top and decorate the ice cream with it. The rolls can be filled with whipped cream according to taste.
Author: Genevieve Dumas is a food, fashion and beauty stylist from New York, who has worked for a range of major magazines.