Is your child scared to go on a school trip? In the first place, you should try to find out the reason for your child’s fear of school trips.
Sit down with your child and ask what are the reasons for the child’s fear of school trips. Is it the classmates or the fear of being homesick? Is your child afraid to sleep in an unfamiliar environment?
Child’s fear of school trips: what to do
- Make them feel that you understand and take it seriously. The child should know that they can entrust itself to you and the teachers.
- If classmates are responsible for the anxiety that bothers your child, then you should talk to the accompanying teachers. So the teachers should make sure that the child does not remain alone in the room or that he has to live with those in the room who tease or bully.
- If you can not provide security for your child, then you must not force your child to take part in the school trip.
- Try to show your child positive aspects of the class trip. You can, for example, tell about your own class trips. Tell your child that there are things that you are afraid of and that ultimately turn out to be beautiful.
- Children should understand that on class trips the class community can be strengthened better. From single groups and excluded people, a common group can grow together.
- Explain to your child that not only is them alone scared of the class trip. Other children are afraid of school trips.
What you should consider as a parent
There are a few things you should consider as a parent when your child goes on a school trip.
Try to boost the self-confidence of the child. Prepare your offspring by making decisions in some everyday situations. So you guarantee the child a sense of achievement and strengthen self-confidence.
Your child should learn to calm themselves and to be in a better mood. This includes, for example, speaking or writing about grief. Some children find it easier to go on a school trip if they bring their favorite cuddly toy or a favorite item.
In any case, prior to the class trip, discuss how to keep contact home.
As a parent, you must not make a drama on the departure day for the class trip. Do not confuse your child by bursting into tears. Do not say that you can not cope without your daughter or son, or you will not enjoy your time alone. Smile at your child and wish them an exciting and beautiful trip.
What your child should take on a school trip, you will learn in our next practical tip. There you will find a packing list for the class trip.
Author: Genevieve Dumas is a food, fashion and beauty stylist from New York, who has worked for a range of major magazines.